gorgonzola-apple quiche

Blue cheese is a classic love it or hate it kind of food, meaning that very few people are indifferent to blue cheese, most either love it or hate it. I love it!

That said, this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe, Gorgonzola-Apple Quiche, is probably not one that I would have picked on my own. Not sure why, maybe it’s the combination which threw me, but for some reason I was not overly excited to make this one. Boy was I wrong!

This quiche was so much tastier than I had expected. It would also be accurate to say that this quiche was much less weird than I had expected. I’m sure that there is a better way to phrase that… how about, the flavors turned out to be much milder than I had expected. The cheese kind of melts into the custard and becomes a mildly salty counterpoint to the cooked apple. All right, I’m done trying to explain it. I’ll wrap up my quiche commentary by saying that my husband and I were both very surprised by how good this one was.

In other news, I tried a new tart crust recipe this week and was really pleased with how it turned out. Some of you may have already been subjected to my ongoing rant against pie crust, and I apologize for that. But this week, while still a struggle, felt like a small step forward. I pulled out my trusty Joy of Cooking and followed their recipe for a dough which is made with butter, crisco, and water, no egg. Following Joy’s advice I froze my fats before using my food processor to cut them into the flour. Joy also recommends fully, as opposed to partially, baking the crust before filling it, saying that it comes out flakier and strangely unburnt in the end. And one final little tip which I tried, in order to seal the crust I brushed a tiny amount of the beaten eggs over the bottom of the pre-baked crust and baked it for one additional minute before adding the filling. Not sure if any of these really made a big difference or if I am just slowly getting used to working with pie crust, but the whole process seemed to be just a little less daunting this week.

About these ads
This entry was posted in french fridays with dorie and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to gorgonzola-apple quiche

1. Glad you enjoyed it. I love the combo of cheese and apples – always have – so this was a treat! Glad you had some pie crust love this time around. I quite like Dorie’s recipe but am not gifted handling it and had to do a few “patch jobs” ;)

• What’s funny is that it wasn’t the apples & cheese combo which threw me, it was the addition of eggs which somehow sounded weird. So happy that I tried it anyway.

2. Elaine says:

Your quiche looks perfect. We also were surprised at how much we enjoyed this and I wasn’t at all sure with the gorgonzola, so it was a nice surprise. The Joy pie crust sounds like an interesting technique and I am glad you had success with it. It sure looks good and you had no shrinkage it looks like. Great job!

3. Your quiche looks delicious. And, it’s been forever since I’ve flipped through my copy of the Joy of Cooking. Thanks for the reminder!

4. Kathy says:

What a gorgeous looking quiche! I also made a different crust…I made the one from Nick Malgieri’s book “How to Bake”. It always comes out perfect! I also love blue cheese! Have a nice weekend!

5. Eileen says:

I’ll check out the Joy of Cooking recipe. I don’t know what went wrong with my dough this time around, but it was a pain. Ugh. Glad the recipe surprised you!

As for How to Eat, my only complaint at this point is that there are a lot of recipes for quail and grouse (I don’t even know what type of animal that is. If I were on a game show, I’d guess it’s a bird??) and cuts that aren’t so easy to come by here, but I assume are more common in England. If you have access to that stuff in Germany, I say go for it, because almost everything I’ve made so far has been really good.

• Quail is easy to find here, never heard of grouse before but I’d have to agree that it is probably a game bird? Game is definitely much easier to find here than in the US, but I admit that I have not cooked with it very often. Perhaps that is actually a reason for buying the book.

6. This quiche really turned out beautifully, didn’t it? Loved it. And glad you found a tart dough recipe you like – that’s 99% of the battle with tarts and quiches!

7. Krissy says:

I’ve always loved cheese and apples together, however, I would never have come up with this combo in a quiche, omelet, etc. We like it. Glad you and pie crust are becoming friends…your crust looks perfect. Back in the day, before food processors like I now enjoy, I made crusts with shortening. Some things take practice. Now I’m an all butter crust girl. I think shortening is easier to work with…more forgiving and has properties that enhance some baking. You may come back to butter after you figure out the “feel” of the dough that works best for you. I think most recipes and food network bakers have us mix up a dough that is a little too dry hoping to help us keep it flaky. Nothing worst than trying to make a crust with dough that won’t cooperate. Good for you to find a recipe that works for you.

8. patty says:

Yum! Your quiche looks good served with the green beans! I’m glad you found a dough you enjoy working with for the crust, I think that’s more than half the battle to success with any pie, tart or quiche! We loved the flavors in this quiche too, surprisingly good with the blue cheese and tart apple;-)

9. I’ve been strangely lucky in the pie crust arena and I don’t know why. Its a little unnerving the more I think about it and I fear that my next crust will be the end of a career of good crusts:) We also enjoyed this quiche and love blue cheese!

10. Your quiche looks so delicious paired with greens.
    It was milder than I expected, too, especially since I fear stinky cheeses!

I am still becoming friends with pie/ tart dough. We have just recently begun to become more friendly with each other.
    Love the green bean pairing. Yum!

12. Tasty Mayhem says:

Joy is one of my bibles and rarely steers one wrong. Gorgeous quiche and I laughed when I read your “this quiche was much less weird than I had expected.” I had the same thought about apples and eggs.

13. sanyaliving says:

Your quiche looks great and love your green beans!
    I detest the taste and smell of blue cheese. However everything else about the quiche I love, the filling (as long as there were no big chunks of gorgonzola in each bite) was delicious and the pastry is my husband’s favourite. I’ve been lucky with it so far though, the pastry recipe you tried looks great!

14. Betsy says:

I believe doing pastry crust over and over again and getting more comfortable is the key to success. I don’t bat an eye anymore. I feel like I’ve got it down. My go-to recipe is Mark Bittman’s which I used for the quiche. I thought this was going to be weird too, but I really enjoyed it. The more I think of it, I think it even tasted sort of meaty and not at all fruity. I think the other that threw me is that I wasn’t a huge fan of Marie-Helene’s Apple Cake, and that was apples and eggs, big time. The quiche worked out much better for me. Looks like the quiche came out perfectly, and it’s good to hear you enjoyed it.

Your quiche with beans looks like such a tasty meal. I don’t like the very strong blue cheeses, but the gorgonzola in this quiche was fine.

16. Liz says:

Your quiche looks perfect. I should have used another crust recipe….I have trouble with Dorie’s being too dry (hard to deal with after you start rolling!). Still it turned out OK, but darker than yours….so I’ll totally prebake next time!

17. Adriana says:

I also have pie crust/cutting fat through flour traumas, and chose a recipe that doesn’t use cold butter from David Lebovitz. I won’t shy away from the quiche recipes thanks to that one! The blue cheese/eggs/apple combination was also a very pleasant surprise.

18. You are right about blue cheese – love it or hate it! Fortunately, I’m a cheese lover and so is my other half so this recipe was right up our alley. We used the cabrales cheese since I had it on hand, and it was delicous! Great photos! I like the suggestion about fully baking the crust also!

19. michelle says:

Sadly, I am a hater of blue cheese :( But, your quiche certainly does look pretty :)

20. tsimmisthyme says:

Your quiche looks wonderful. Pie crust has always been my nemesis. I avoided making pies and tarts. For quiche we have relied on store bought frozen pie shells. I used Dorie’s dough recipe and thought it handled perfectly. I loved it. I’ll have to try some of these others that were mentioned by you and others.

21. I admire your persistence at finding a tart dough that works well for you! This one looks very puffy. I bet the vegetable shortening in the dough makes it extra flakey! The final quiche looks so mouthwatering. Great work this week!