mme. Mamans’s chopped liver

Liver. What can I say? It gets a bad rap. If the flurry of panic caused by this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe, Mme. Mamans’s Chopped Liver, is any indication, I seem to be one of the few Americans who actually likes it.

Why is that? It never made an appearance in the meat-free household of my childhood. I think that I was at least a few years out of college before I tried it in the form of foie gras. Yep, I’m almost certain that was the gateway drug. Somewhere along the line I took Nigella Lawson’s advice and started adding the sautéed turkey liver to my thanksgiving gravy. Then I started eating most of the sautéed turkey liver before it had a chance to make it into the gravy. And then I moved to Germany, where liver seems to be more common and all around less of an issue.

But each time it comes up (or even almost comes up) in the FFwD roster, I am reminder how much we Americans hate it. Oh well, more for me I guess. And with this week’s recipe, more was definitely better. This recipe was crazy simple and delicious. Sautee some onions until nicely browned, same for the liver, throw in a little seasoning, maybe a dash of mayo, and serve. I admit to having been a bit pressed for time (a.k.a. I didn’t read the recipe ahead of time and didn’t know that it would need to sit – HOW MANY TIMES do I need to be reminded to read the recipe BEFORE I start cooking!) and thus just served it warm. As luck would have it, it was delicious warm. I almost wonder if I wouldn’t prefer it that way.

FFwD032 010In any case, like most of the meat recipes in this book, it’s not winning any prizes for looks. Or maybe that’s just my lazy photography. I’ve yet to figure out how to make a hunk of brown meat look attractive. But it’s what’s inside that counts (right?) and my husband and I both loved this one.

About these ads
This entry was posted in french fridays with dorie. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to mme. Mamans’s chopped liver

1. Nope it is definitely not easy to photograph! But the taste and ease of prep makes up for that!

I have never had much to do with liver and only know about chopped liver from negative comments on US TV shows. However, I loved this – no hesitation in having it again.

Apparently, it is more loved than we all knew – judging by the reactions this week. I think I am in the minority on this one.

I am going to blame my parents on this one…

This American loved it too! Actually, I’m surprised how many more likes than dislikes there are given the chatter from the P&Q’s earlier this week.

5. Ha! Gateway drug indeed. That made me laugh out loud! I’m still not a fan of liver when mainlined but when it is cut with onions as it is here I find it hard to resist!

6. Rose, so glad that we were not the only ones that enjoyed this recipe!
    Also wanted to let you know that we received your nice Christmas card! Thank you!
    Have a nice weekend!

7. EmilyC says:

What can I say except that it surprised alot of us here, surprisingly good!

8. Tricia S. says:

While this has been a hilarious week of comments and posts, your “gateway drug” reference takes the cake for me !! Love it. And so glad that you loved this recipe.

9. dulceshome says:

I’m with the Americans who do like liver. But I agree, there was a lot of concern – and probably plenty who just opted out! But I did think this was pretty delicious. And loved the spices, I need to find more ways to use that blend!

10. Mary Hirsch says:

Okay, I am coming to Germany and learn to love chopped chicken liver. You and Andrea have convinced me. (Remember? It’s location, location, location.) You are absolutely correct that liver already starts with we stateside Americans with three strikes against it. However, there were some converts among the Doristas this week – me included. If having a fancy party, needing some tasty patés, I would not hesitate to throw this together.

11. I loved the chopped liver…it was a big hit with both my hubby and myself! Count me as an American who loves liver!! I also love Liverwurst. Yours looks wonderful, so glad you enjoyed it.