the cover

Denial. It’s usually bandied about in such a negative context, but I happen to think that denial is unfairly maligned. As part of my work I’ve attended many courses on Organizational Change and Elisabeth Kübler-Ross’s 5 Stages of Grief is often one of the classic models to be discussed. After studying the effects of death and dying on her psychiatric patients, Kübler-Ross posited that most humans faced with a significant life change will go through at least 2 of the 5 Stages of Grief, namely: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

Now, some of you will probably try to remind me that this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe, Chicken in a Pot, is our LAST ONE. In which case, I would refer you to the above, no, it’s not, I’m in denial, we still have 4 more weeks to go. Plenty of time to work through the remaining stages!

I will, however, ever so bravely acknowledge that this week’s recipe is the last in Dorie’s Chicken and Duck chapter (see, I’m making slow progress into acceptance) and I have to say that it has been among my favorites. Did I just say that last week when we finished the fish chapter? Entirely possible, I loved pretty much all of the recipes from both. Dorie’s Lazy Chicken is made at least once a month in my house, her Chicken Basquaise got my fussy husband to eat bell peppers, and I now not only know what the word spatchcock means, I also use the technique on a fairly regular basis with absolutely delicious results.

IMG_3716

On the surface, Dorie’s Chicken in a Pot looks like it’s closely related to my favorite Lazy Chicken recipe, in that both are cooked in a pot with a lid instead of in a roasting pan, and both have a generous dose of root veggies thrown in to keep the chicken company. But upon closer inspection (which didn’t happen for me until I actually started cooking the thing) the two recipes are actually quite different. In her Chicken in a Pot recipe, Dorie has us browning the whole chicken, adding a generous amount of liquid, and then sealing the whole thing off with an airtight seal of dough. Oh, and holy garlic! Vampires will be giving my place a wide berth for years to come after using 4 entire bulbs in this one little recipe.

IMG_3717

As you can see, my supposedly airtight seal sprang a leak, but otherwise this recipe came together as promised. The chicken was juicy and delicious and with the veggies thrown in, made for a wonderful one-pot meal. I did find that browning the whole chicken was a bit unwieldy, and would likely stick with chicken pieces in the future. Otherwise, this was a fun recipe and a new technique to add to my arsenal.

IMG_3723

Still in denail here, we will have to wait until later to say our goodbyes.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in french fridays with dorie and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to the cover

It’s not goodbye, it’s “until we meet again”.
    We will gladly aid you in denial 🙂

2. “I did find that browning the whole chicken was a bit unwieldy, and would likely stick with chicken pieces in the future.” THIS. So much this! It’s been a pleasure getting to know you over the past four years. I hope we get to meet in person someday. Looking forward to the next few weeks. I am NOT ready to let go, just yet!

3. Sniff, sniff. It’s hard to fathom that this is our LAST recipe! Hope we can meet one day in the future, Rosa. xo

4. Rosa I can tell from your comments that you are lovely down to earth person. I hope some day we will meet. If you ever find yourself coming through NYC please, please send me a message and I will find a fun place to eat lunch. I’m not sure which stage of grief I am in… I feel like I am in acceptance, but that may be denial!

5. Susan says:

It’s been lovely getting to know you! One day, we’ll meet in person. It’s been interesting watching you acquire all the ingredients, too. I hope you’ll start featuring more German food on your blog. When we cruised the Seine, we were on a German boat, so ate German food, not French – isn’t that funny?!? I think German bread is amazing with all the grains and flavor it has. Wasn’t this a fun getting to know each other project for a newly married couple?
    xoxoxo

6. Eileen says:

Looks good. I confess, I got lazy way before I hit 4 heads of garlic. I think I used 2. (Hangs head in shame).

7. I am going to miss your unique perspective on these recipes. Always a delight to read. But being a Dorista is forever so I do hope we all ‘stick close to home’ however we can manage that.

8. Rose, wonderful looking Chicken in a Pot – denial or not…so nice to read through your post and look at all your wonderful pictures – especially that young garlic there, it is just the best! You are aware, of course, that you are only a mere hour and a half (if there are no striking train conductors that day) “away” from where we reside…maybe you will find the time some day to stop by…I just happen to know THE best coffee shop in all of Cologne…(although I do not even know whether you like coffee or Cologne or…)
    Ein schönes Wochenende,
    Andrea

9. Nana says:

I have always loved your blog’s title, “One ex-pat’s life.” Jim and I traveled thru France, especially Paris, and came across so many ex-pat’s that it amazed us. We had so much fun talking with them all. We did try a week of rental in the Montmartre section of Paris, loved it all, and felt like the Frenchmen I should have been. My parents would have been proud. However, the two kids
    needed us home, so home we went. This has been quite a journey, I am happy to have met you,
    loved reading your blog, and I hope to continue to do so, and maybe someday our paths will cross.
    Who knows, a Dorista reunion. It’s not impossible.

I’m not sure which stage I’m in, but not acceptance quite yet. I always look forward to your posts each week. You always seem to have an adventure, being in Europe, cooking a different European cuisine, from a book tailored for American kitchens. Yikes! But you always manage beautifully. I hope we meet in person some time. It’s been wonderful to share this journey with you, week after week!

11. dulceshome says:

Rose, I love this post! I agree with Ro, one of the 1st things that I found interesting was your ex-pat perspective. I was in Australia for 2 years (a long time ago), and can relate to trying to find ingredients, and all that entails. But mainly, I love how you’ve shared your life and love of cooking with us! I would definitely love to read more about other things you’re making. But of course, you always share a great story and lovely photos.

BTW, your dish looks wonderful!! I did the whole chicken too – doing my best to replicate THE PHOTO, yours is definitely more beautiful!!

12. Karen says:

Yes, we still have 4 fun weeks left to go! I have already started planning for those… We loved this recipe too, and I can see myself making it again and again.

13. Katie says:

Rosa, my dough did the same danged thing, though I suppose it didn’t affect things too much. I also agree with doing the chicken pieces…way easier to deal with! Loved your post and I think, because I missed some time in the middle, that I’m definitely in denial. 🙂

We do have 4 more weeks to go. Your chicken looks fabulous Rosa – the broken seal had not negative effect.

15. Tricia S says:

Oh I love that you referenced the five stages of grief – LOL it is actually both sad and hilarious 🙂 And so spot on true. I am not sure that I am not firmly planted in the “pre grief” stage of procrastination as I am still trying to finish my make up recipes. The good thing about the make ups is that it is turning into a wonderful distraction from “the end”. Your chicken looks just wonderful – love it in that beautiful Le Crueset pot. It has been so wonderful to “get to know you” via this adventure and I have genuinely and thoroughly enjoyed your posts. I am sitting in Vermont as I write this and while I know you are across the pond, I do recall that you have family or friends in this Green State and that makes you feel just a wee bit closer 🙂 All the best ~ Now on to the fun weeks !

16. Teresa says:

My dough wasn’t a perfect seal, either, but it seemed to work well, anyway. I loved this one and am so glad we waited until the end for it. I’m absolutely in denial about the end of the group. Thank goodness we’ve got four weeks of posts to go.

17. A delightful post, Rose! I have a bit of denial going on myself! Getting to know you over the last four and a half years has been marvelous…I always look forward to your adventures! Nana is right…a Dorista reunion…even if it is virtual…once a year! I am in!

18. Guyla says:

Rose, I also love the term spatchcock and can’t help but toss it into food conversations:) Thank you Dorie! Your post and pictures are always enjoyable and this one was no exception. This isn’t goodbye as we have four more posts to do (and I’m more or less at a loss about all of them!) and into the future I will be interested to see what you do. As Nana said a Dorista Reunion should happen!

19. Diane Zwang says:

Very nicely said, the best post I have read so far. The advantages of joining the group late, I can take advice from those before me. I will check out the Lazy chicken recipe and give it a go. I am looking forward to the next and last 4 weeks.